Thursday, February 12, 2009

Persepolis

After reading the graphic novel Persepolis, along with Eisner and McCloud, I have developed a completely new appreciation of graphic novels, and comic books in general. I never thought that pictures could tell a story quite like it does in Persepolis. I had no idea what was truly going on in Iran about Thirty years ago, and now I have an understanding of what was going on, and the revolution that the people had to undergo. Strapi does a phenomenal job describing the beginning of her life using images. A lot of what she does goes back to McCloud, and how he broke down the dynamics of a comic. Although her pictures are not detailed like Eisner, they still do the job of telling a story and getting it across to many people. In Persepolis, I also like how her growth as a person is shown throughout the book. She starts off as a kid who has no cares, and throughout the whole entire novel, she grows into a women who understands the war, and has her own ideas and values. I also feel, after watching the movie, that a lot of Marijane's story is left out. The book describes her life in much more detail, which is generally what happens. It's just surprising to me because it was a comic book that she had written so people tend to think that it is shorter but that was not the case. I feel after reading these three pieces really shows how comics are much more then pictures in the paper, but actually stories that can outline someones life, and tell amazing stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment